I love a good macaroni cheese, it’s so versatile and comforting, it can be served on its own or as a side dish it can be spiced, up padded out with vegetables, deep fried and even used as a burger bun, the only problem is it’s packed with calories. So I wanted to come up with a version that I could have while watching my calorie intake that wouldn’t mean I had to starve for the rest of the day.
This version is vegetarian but it works well with a little bit of smoked bacon or chorizo, It went something like this
Healthy, delicious, comforting
- 40g plain flour
- 100g grated extra mature cheddar cheese (you can use low fat if you want to reduce the calories further
- 2 tbsp low fat crème fraiche
- 2sp Djon mustard
- 100g macaroni
- 2 large chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- Small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs
- 400ml of vegetable or chicken stock.
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Splash of Tabasco
- Turn on your grill so it can get nice and hot
- Place a large pan of boiling water on the stove, season with some salt and add the macaroni, cook until soft. Drain and set aside
- Fry the peppers, onion, mushroom and peppers in a touch of oil, set aside
- Place the flour in a sauce pan and mix in the Djon mustard to form a paste, turn on the heat and slowly add the stock a little bit at a time, stirring continuously to stop lumps forming, heat the sauce until it starts to reduce and thicken, add 2/3rds of your grated cheese and the crème fraiche.
- Mix in the vegetables and pasta, season with salt and pepper, the chilli flakes and a grating of nutmeg.
- Place the mixture in a large grill proof dish, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Place under the grill until the breadcrumbs are crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Serve in a bowl with some salad and a splash of Tabasco.