Spicy Stuffed Aubergine Recipe
This is an adaptation of a recipe I saw on the telegraph website, I made it because i’d never used oats as a topping on anything other than crumble before.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 galic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, de seeded and chopped
- 1 large courgette, diced
- 1 large aubergine
- 400g tinned tomatoes.
- Pickled jalapeno
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1tbsp hendersons relish (worcestershire sauce)
- 2tbsp porridge oats
- 2tbsp grated mozzarella or cheddar.
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp breadcumbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp parmesan
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees C
- Cut the aubergine in half, scoop out the flesh leaving about 0.5 cm of flesh round the edge.
- Lay the aubergine face down on a tray and bake for 10-15mins until they soften. While they bake it’s time to make the filling.
- pour the olive oil into a pan and heat, fry the onion, garlic, red pepper and courgette along with the chopped red chilli, ad a pinch of salt and season well with pepper, fry until soft (about 10mins)
- Add the hendersons relish, paprika, tarragon,and tomatoes, simmer for 15-20 mins until you have a thick ratatouille.
- Taste then season with salt, pepper and the sugar.
- Mix the oats, mozzarella, parmesan, breadcrumbs, chilli flakes and paprika together.
- Spoon the ratatouille mix into the aubergine, pressing down nice and firmly.
- Top with the parmesan mixture.
- Bake for 10-25mins then serve with a nice big salad.