Spicy Chilli and Sweetcorn Relish
I’ve made this a few days ago to go on the next incarnation of the chilli burger recipe (watch this space as I plan to post each of the side dishes followed by the new burger recipe) it’s one of those things that can be made well in advance and then kept in the fridge, it can also be used on all sorts of other things.
- 1 tin of sweetcorn in water
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger, grated.
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 30g of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 red pepper, diced into pieces the same size as the sweetcorn
- 1 red or green chilli, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Put the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil, add the ginger, mustard, garlic, mixed spice and chilli, simmer for 5-10 mins until it starts to thicken
- Add the pepper, sweetcorn and spring onion and stir
- Add the corn flour and stirl again.
- Simmer for 10mins until it thickens and all the vegetables are nice and tender.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a sterile jar and place in the fridge for 24 hours before using.