Chilli Up North Goulash
Decided to try and make a goulash in my slow cooker, i had a rough idea of what went in so just kind of made it up as i went along, it was bloody lovely so thought id share the recipe with you.
- 600g of braising steak (diced)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 2 sticks of celery (grated)
- 2 small red onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 dried chilli (chpoped)
- 2 fresh red chillis (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons carraway seeds (ground)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 10 mushrooms (more if you wish) (sliced)
- salt + pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 4 peppers (mixed colours) (sliced)
- 200ml of beef stock
- 1 small packet of new potatoes.
- plain flour
- fresh thyme
- fresh parsley
- olive oil
Then you need dumplings,sour cream and crusty bread to serve with it…oh and a nice crisp beer or quality lager.
- Par boil the potatoes so they are nice and soft and drain.
- Coat the beef in flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the beef until browned.
- Add the garlic, carrots, mushrooms, celery, onion, peppers and chillis and potatoes, fry until everything is cooked and soft.
- Add the tomatoes and beef stock along with all of the herbs and spices and tomato puree, stir well for 5 minutes, then taste, adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and honey.
- Now either transfer to a slow cooker for 6-7 hours or leave cover and simmer on the hob for a 2-3 hours
- squeeze in the lemon juice, Serve with warm crusty bread, dumplings and a glass of beer.