Chilli Spiced Roast Chicken
This is a wicked roast chicken recipe, it’s really easy and really tasty, you can make it even easier by using a pre mixed seasoning packet like the discovery chilli con carne seasoning or the old el paso fajita spices. They all work really well it’s just a case of finding your favourite. The same goes for the blend of spices below, you might want to add more of one and remove some of the others its just a case of playing around to find your favourite blend.
Obviously the cooking time will depend on the size of the bird you have.
We had ours with new potatoes and a lovely green salad and then had the left overs in sarnies with salsa and salad.
- 1 Whole chicken (preferably free range)
- 1 tsp Chlli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- pinch of mustard powder
- pinch celery powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- zest of 1 lemon
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Mix all of the herbs and spices together with the zest’s (or open the packet if you went down the pre mixed route)
- Rub the chicken with a little olive oil then sprinkle over the spices and rub into the skin of the chicken.
- If you want to add some extra flavour you can put some of the spices under the chicken skin and in the cavity.
- Place chicken into a lightly oiled roasting tin, cover with a double layer of foil.
- Cook for suggested time for your bird, but half an hour before the end remove the foil, baste the chicken with the juices and cook until the skin has crisped up.
Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 10-15mins then carve and serve with salad and new potatoes.