Mexican Feast: Mushroom Tostadas Recipe
Next up on our Mexican Feast is Mushroom Tostadas, yet another dish inspired by my visit to Wahaca last week, The recipe is a version of the Spring Tacos with mushrooms from Thomasina Miers Mexican Food Made Simple Book.
I used the basic recipe for the mushroom tacos and turned it into Tostadas as I really loved the ones I’d had in Wahaca that were topped with a lovely cold chicken salad.
It’s really simple and quick and the mushrooms would make a great filling for just about anything.
- Big hand full of mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Knob of butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion (or a shallot), finely sliced.
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Small hand full of fresh tarragon, finely chopped(or a tsp of dried tarragon)
- 1 tbsp creme fraice
- Small hand full fresh parsley, finely chopped.
- Grated Pecorini (or similar) cheese.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped.
- Chipotle Sauce (you can leave this out)
- 2 corn tortillas (you can also use flour ones but I like the flavour of corn ones when they are fried)
- Oil for frying (you can also use a deep fryer if you have one)
- Olive oil
- Cut the tortillas into discs, I used a ramekin as a template and just cut round that, you need about 3 disks per person.
- Heat your frying oil in a pan or your fryer, then fry the discs until crispy on both sides, place on kitchen paper to drain.
- In another pan, heat the butter and a splash of olive oil until its nice and hot, add onions and mushrooms followed by the garlic and chilli
- Fry the mushrooms and onions until nearly cooked, then add the tarragon and creme fraiche, cook until the mushrooms are done.
- If using the chipotle sauce, spread a little bit on each toasted disc, top with a spoonful of mushrooms, then sprinkle with a little bit of cheese, parsley and a few sunflower seeds.
- Serve and enjoy.