Chilli Beef and Bean Burritos
Before i give you the recipe to this i would like to say that there seems to be a lot of discussion over what should and shouldn’t be in a burrito so this is my preferred recipe, whether its right or wrong i don’t know, what i do know is its hot, spicy, packed full of flavour and pretty damn tasty!
There are a couple of different ways you can cook the filling, it’s really up to you, I’ve gone for the slow cook method but the others work just as well
If you aren’t sure about the heat, leave the chilli powder and cayenne pepper out until you have tasted it.
Preperation time: 10mins – Cooking Time 30mins to 6 hours depending on which method you choose
- 500g lean stewing steak , your fave cut of steak cut into thin strips, or minced beef or if you are a veggie feel free to use more veg and no meat.
- 1 tin of kidney beans, drained
- 1 big red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped/grated
- 3 red chillis sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seed (ground)
- 2 tsp coriander seed (ground)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- Red pepper, sliced
- green pepper sliced
- 2 flat mushrooms, sliced
- Small tin of sweetcorn
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 20g of dark chocolate (grated)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 50ml of beer (or stock)
- Handful grated cheese
- sour cream
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- The biggest flour tortillas you can find.
- Salad, Rice or chips to serve with
There are 2 methods you can use here, i’ve used them all with great success
Method 1: Slow cooker
- If using steak or beef pieces then lightly coat it in seasoned flour and fry in olive oil until browned, remove from the pan
- Fry the garlic,tomato puree and all of the spices in the remaining juices, add the chopped peppers, onions, mushrooms and chilli, fry until soft.
- Add the sweetcorn, kidney beans and tinned tomatoes along with the Worcester sauce , red wine vinegar and Tabasco, then add the beer or stock.
- Fry for 5 mins then add the dark chocolate and transfer to your slow cooker
- Cook in your slow cooker for 6 hours or so then proceed to the serving instructions below
Method 2: Frying
This method is the same as above but you can just leave it in the frying pan until cooked and has thickened up a bit.
- Heat your tortillas in a microwave or dry frying pan so they are nice and soft.
- Place some of the filling in the middle, don’t get too much sauce otherwise it will end up too wet, top with cheese, wrap into a parcel and place on a baking tray.
- Drizzle over a little of the sauce and bake for 5mins in the oven.
- Remove, add sour cream, guacamole and salsa and serve with your choice of side dish.
Sorry about the rubbish pic, Emily’s portion were proper parcels and looked really neat but she cleared off with them before i could take a pic.
[singlepic id=382 w=320 h=240 float=center]