Spicy Sprout and Fennel Soup
I was rummaging round the cupboard when I found a bag of sprouts that were heading towards past their best and already had my meals planned out, none of which included sprouts so decided to have a go at making some soup out of them. I thought it might be a bit bland on it’s own so decided to spice things up with a bit of chilli powder and some fennel seeds, fennel seeds work really well with sprouts, if you don’t believe me try Jamie Oliver’s Shredded Sprouts recipe.
- 300g sprouts, outer leaves removed and stalk trimmed.
- 150g of potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 stick celery, diced
- 100g onion, peeled and chopped
- 20g butter
- 400ml chicken stock (or veggie stock if you are a veggie)
- Black pepper
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp fennel seeds.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan, add the celery, onion and potato and fry until the onion is soft, add the fennel seeds and chilli powder.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, add the sprouts to the pan and and reduce the heat, cook until the sprouts are soft.
- Blend the soup, then season with salt and lots of black pepper, if it’s a bit thick add some milk to the soup.
- Either serve the soup now or re heat later.