Spiced melting feta and chickpea salad
This is another recipe I saw on the good food website and had to try, with added spice of course. I served it with some lamb kebabs. I used mint sauce mixed with some lemon juice and a little sugar istead of the fresh mint. Also served it with a nice big dollop of tzatziki and a flatbread.
Serves 2 or 3
- tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
- good pinch of dried oregano or 1 tsp fresh, chopped
- 175g canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- half a green pepper, sliced
- 10cm/4in piece of cucumber, cut into chunks
- 6 pitted Kalamata olives, halved and rinsed to remove excess salt
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- small handful mint leaves or a couple of tablespoons of mint sauce, mixed with lemon juice and a little sugar.
Ingredients for the cheese
- 2 tsp plain flour
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- black pepper
- 100g reduced-fat feta, cubed
- 1-2 tsp rapeseed oil or olive oil
- Mix the vinegar with the oil and oregano in a bowl. Pile in the rest of the salad ingredients, but don’t toss yet.
- Mix the flour, cumin, pepper, paprika and chilli powder, then toss in the feta to coat. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and briefly fry the cheese, flicking the pieces over to cook on all sides. Toss the salad, pile onto plates and scatter over the cheese to serve.