Spicy Mozzarella Melts
Every time we go to one of my favourite pubs (the lion inn) i have to have their spicy mozzarella melts so i thought i would try to create something similar my self.
If you don’t have a deep fat fryer then fill a big saucepan up with oil, leaving a few cm gap from the top of the pan, and be very careful.
This serves 2 or 3 but you can increase it if you want to serve more.
- 1 Ball of Mozzarella cheese, drained.
- Fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1tsp chilli flakes or chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt + pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- Salad and dip to serve (i used the chilli jam again but the lion serves theirs with spicy pickle which works a treat.)
- Chop the mozzarella into slices or chunks, depending on how you would like them. Pat them dry with some kitchen paper.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl, season with salt and pepper and add the garlic, chilli, herbs and paprika, mix well.
- Dip the cheese slices/chunks in the egg followed by the breadcrumbs, making sure they are coated all over.
- Fry in the oil until crisp and golden – usually only takes a minute or two.
- Serve on a bed of salad with the dip of your choice.
Sorry no pic as of yet as i can’t find the one i took, i will re- take one next time i make them.