This is based on the Hairy Bikers chicken curry from their latest (and excellent) book “Mums Know Best”, they used chicken and it didn’t have the veg in, i also added a few more chillis to spice it up a little bit.
It takes about 10-15mins to prepare then I put it in the slow cooker while I was at work, although if you don’t have a slow cooker you can always leave it on the hob until the sauce thickens.
- 500g diced lamb
- 1 tsp ground black peppercorns
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 450ml water
- 1 red pepper
- 1 packet green beans
For the tarka masala sauce:
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- Small tin of chopped tomatoes
- 5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 whole chillies
- For the tarka masala sauce: Heat the oil in a large pan until fairly hot, add the cumin seeds and fry for 10 secs. Add the onions and pepper and fry until golden brown, then add the garlic and fry until slightly golden. Add the tinned tomatoes to the pan. Next add the ginger, chillies and cook for a few minutes, remove from the pan.
- Heat a little more oil in the pan add the lamb, salt, spices and chilli flakes into the pan and cook over a fairly high heat. Keep turning the lamb until browned
- Add the sauce you made in step 1 and 450ml of water and the green beans, bring to the boil and simmer over a medium heat for about 10 mins
- Tip into your slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on a medium heat. (if not using slow cooker simmer until the sauce thickens and the lamb is tender)
- Just before serving add the chopped fresh tomato, corriander and bay leaves and leave for an hour or so to infuse then server with naan and rice.
This recipe is an adaption Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers’ Family Cookbook, . You can buy it on Amazon.co.uk.