Spicy Vegetable Tarts
Once a week we like to have a vegetarian meal, these spicy vegetable tarts were this week’s meal, you could of course add a couple of slices of chorizo picante, chicken or parma ham if you want to add a bit of meat.
You could also replace the peso with ready made spicy pesto or home made pesto (like the one I used here in this cod loin recipe)
If you like your pastry really crispy, bake the pastry first then top with the veg and bake until the cheese melts.
Ingredients for Spicy Vegetable Tarts
- 1/2 packet of ready rolled shortcrust pastry.
- 1 large beef tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp pesto
- 1/2 courgette, thinly sliced
- 2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, de seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped.
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Salad and potatoes to serve with.
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees and remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Either grease a baking tray or cover it in baking paper.
- Cut the pastry into 2 even sized pieces.
- Smother each piece of pastry with 2 tsp of pesto.
- Layer each piece of pastry with the tomato, followed by the courgette, mushrooms, onion and pepper.
- Break the mozzarella into chunks and lay on top of each tart.
- Sprinkle with the chilli
- Drizzle with olive oli, season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 20-25mins until the cheese is golden and the pastry crisp.
- Serve with seasonal salad and new potatoes.