Blue Cheese Apple and Chilli Burger
This is a recipe from a book called “The Burger” which I picked up from the cheap bookshop in town a few months ago, It’s a great little book which is written in a cartoon style and is packed full of tasty burger and accompaniment recipes.
The original recipe didn’t have chilli in or the mango chutney as I added them to spice things up a bit. It also suggested BBQing the burgers which I did but they were a bit difficult to flip so I’d be tempted to grill them or fry them next time.
- 175g new potatoes
- 225g mixed nuts (I used almonds, pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 small eating apples, cored and grated (I used Granny Smith Apples)
- 175g blue cheese, crumbled (I used Blacksticks blue)
- 55g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4-6 cheese topped buns
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tbsp soured cream
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 15 mins or until they are soft, using a potato masher or fork, crush into small pieces, place in a large bowl.
- Place the nuts and onion in a food processor and blitz into small pieces add to the potato.
- Add the cheese, chilli and breadcrumbs to the potatoes and mix well
- Season with salt and pepper then shape into 4-6 equal size burgers.
- Roll each burger in the flour, wrap in cling film and chill for at least an hour.
- Brush each burger with some oil then BBQ for 5 mins each side until hot through.
- Mix the soured cream and mango chutney, spread a little on each bun, top with some lettuce
- Add the burger and enjoy.