Black Pudding Scotch Egg with Spicy Sauce
I’ve been playing with scotch eggs for a while. I’m almost as obsessed about them as I am with arancini. I’ve had all sort’s of ideas for replacing the egg with various things or spicing up the sausage meat with something a bit different. But for now the spice comes in the form of the sauce you serve this one with.
The length of time you boil your eggs for depends on how big your eggs are, I was using XL from a local farm so went for 7 minutes. Most places seem to suggest times between 5 and 8 mins.
- 100g sausage meat
- 100g black pudding
- 3 eggs
- Plain flour
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying.
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 100ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat a small saucepan on the stove, add the tomato purée, when it starts to sizzle add the Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce along with the paprika, then gradually stir in the stock, simmer for 5 minutes until thickened, season with salt and pepper. Tip into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Place a large pan of water on the stove and bring to the boil, season with plenty of salt, carefully lower 2 of the eggs into the water. Start your timer, after 7 minutes remove from the heat and run under cold water.
- Very carefully peel the eggs.
- Crumble the black pudding into the sausage meat, season and mix well.
- Crack your un cooked egg into a bowl and beat, place the panko breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and the flour in another. Season each bowl.
- Divide your sausage meat mix into two balls, place on two squares of cling film and roll out so they are about 7.5cm in diameter.
- Dip your eggs in the flour then carefully wrap the sausage meat round each egg.
- Dip each coated egg into the flour, then the beaten egg followed by the breadcrumbs, then back into the egg and breadcrumbs.
- Heat your oil to 180 degrees
- Fry the eggs for 8 minutes, this should cook the sausage meat through without cooking the egg yolk.
- Drain and pat dry with some kitchen roll.
- Serve with the sauce and enjoy!