Mexican Feast: Chorizo and Squash Tacos Recipe
This was the final course in our Mexican Feast, it was probably one of my favourites, I served it with loads of homemade home grown tomato spicy salsa and cooling guacamole.
This is yet another recipe from Mexican Food Made Simple by Thomasina Miers, although I used butternut squash instead of onion squash and used red onion instead of shallots as couldn’t find any.
- 1/2 packet soft corn or flour tortillas or soft tacos.
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 a butternut squash, peeled and diced….you don’t have to peel it but the skin can be a bit chewy.
- 1 chilli of your choice, sliced
- 2 cooking chorizo, thickly sliced.
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano.
- Salt and pepper
- Guacamole/sour cream/salsa/fresh coriander/pumpkin seeds to serve with
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Smash the garlic with some salt and pepper, then mix with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Toss the squash in the seasoned oil mix, sprinkle over your chilli and roast for 20 mins, until the squash is soft.
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan and fry the chorizo and onion until the onion has softened.
- Add the Oregano followed by the squash, remove from the heat, mix well and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in the tacos/tortillas with salsa and salad.