Cheese and Jalapeño Scone Recipe
I was watching the Great British Bake Off on BBC2 a few nights ago when Julia Bradbury made some cheese, chilli and ham scones, I couldn’t find the recipe on line so I decided to have a crack at making my own.
This makes about 8 scones, and they’d be great with a bit of chorizo in the mix or even just served with a slice of chorizo, a bit of spring onion or some olives in the mix might also be nice.
- 225g of self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter, at room temperature
- 25g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 20 g parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large free range egg
- Milk (about 140ml)
- 1/2 jar of pickled jalapeño (a mix of red and green works well), diced
- 4 pieces of sun dried tomato, diced
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Place some grease proof paper on a large baking tray.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, chilli powder, paprika and pepper together
- Add the butter, then rub it in with your finger tips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese, chillis and sun dried tomato
- In a small jug, beat the egg and then add some milk so it makes the mix up to 150ml
- Slowly tip the milk into your flour mix and stir well until it forms a dough.
- Lightly knead the dough to make sure it’s all combined.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough so that its about 2 to 2.5cm thick
- Using a round cutter, cut out your scones, combining any left overs and re rolling.
- Place the scones on your tray, brush with a little milk
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the scones are golden brown and crispy
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and leave to cool