Spicy Breakfast Burrito – The ultimate hangover cure
This breakfast treat is in no way good for you and most people’s arteries will harden at the thought of it but it really does give you that extra boost on the morning after the night before. It’s up there with pancakes, bacon and maple syrup or poached eggs and hot sauce as my favourite big breakfast treat. It’s best served with a huge mug of tea, fresh orange or an iced coffee…yes iced coffee…trust me it works.
The trick is to use good quality ingredients and grill as much of it as possible. You can also add or remove components depending on your mood and what you like but here’s my favourite.
You can cook the meat in what ever order you like but I tend to use the foil method below as it gives you time to do everything else
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 2 hash browns
- 2 good quality sausages, I like to use either ones with chilli in or nice spicy, peppery Cumberland sausages.
- 2 slices of good quality, thick sliced bacon.
- 1 breakfast mushroom
- 1 piece of local black pudding.
- 1 large free range egg.
- 2 small knobs of butter
- 2 teaspoons of tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons of chill sauce – the hotter the better, tomato based ones work best, sweet chilli doesn’t.
- Salt and pepper
You can also add 2 tablespoons of baked beans for a little extra oomph but I gave it a miss as couldnt be bothered with the washing up. You can also grate a little bit of cheese into your scrambled egg if you fancy.
- Heat your grill, place the sausages, bacon, black pudding and hash browns under it, cook until done to your liking, the bacon will cook first so remove that when it’s done and wrap in tin foil, do this for each element.
- Slice your mushroom, fry in the knob of butter until soft and juicy, season with salt and pepper, place with the meat in the foil.
- Melt the second knob of butter in a pan, add the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper and keep stirring until scrambled enough for you. I like mine cooked but still quite runny.
- Spread the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce over the tortilla, cut the sausages in half length ways and place in the middle of the tortilla, slice the black pudding and add to the sausages along with the bacon, hash browns and mushrooms, top with the scrambled egg.
- Fold up into one big parcel (there’s a handy guide here)
After your delicious hangover cure has settled go for a nice long walk up a big hill or along the beach!